Sunday, November 27, 2016

Hanukkah Blog Hop




I’m really excited to be participating in my very 1st Blog hop!  It’s all new to me so I hope I don’t mess up the sequence or the protocol.  

Since, Stampin' Up hasn't really produced a Hanukkah themed stamp set for several years, I had to use a retired set.  You can sometimes buy them on sites like Ebay. 

These are gift tags, one each night!  They each measure 3" x 3" and are attached to the gift by the cord.  I have to say creating these was a challenge.  I had to mask off the candles on this menorah stamp that weren't being used. I then stamped each card with Versamark and embossed them with Silver Embossing Powder. After embossing, I colored each candle using a blender pen and repeated the color sequence on each card.

Thank you so much for viewing my blog and I hope you will visit the other blogs of demonstrators who are participating. 
If you get lost along the way you can refer to this list of blog hop participants:
#1 Miriam Permut – http://myinkpad.com
#3 Lois Friedman – LuLusCraftystamping.blogspot.com  You are here!
#5 Debby Hoffman – http://debbyhoffman.wixsite.com/craftzone
#6 Yapha Mason – http://yaphamason.com/blog/2016/11/27/hanukkah-blog-hop/



Here are some other Hanukkah cards I created.  I added Swirly Scribbles die cuts to give some motion to the spinning dreidel and ovals as Hanukkah gelt (coins). These cards are available for sale for $4 each while supplies last..  You can contact me by commenting through this blog.



Hanukkah is a Jewish Holiday that celebrates a freedom fight that took place between a small band of Jews in the land known at the time as Judea or Israel and their Greek-Syrian occupiers, specifically King Antiochus who reigned between 222-186 BCE, who forbade Jews to practice their religion.  (one of many).  The name Hanukkah comes from a woman named Hannah who lost all her sons because they refused to bow to the tyrant king.  The Menorah or Hanukkiah is in commemoration of the miracle of the Eternal Lamp:  After all the sacred olive oil used to kindle the Eternal Lamp which is lit 24/7 in the temple was destroyed by soldiers, only a single bottle was found still unopened.  When the lamp was re-lit with the single bottle that was left, it is said that the flame lasted for the 8 days required to produce fresh oil, which was a miracle.  The special candelabra, called a Menorah or Hanukkiah is lit each of the 8 nights of Hanukkah to symbolize this.
Beginning in the late 1960’s, Hanukkah began to be associated with secular winter holidays, because of the time of year it occurs.  Consequently, a tradition of giving gifts has become very popular.

10 comments:

  1. Love the gift tags, and how you added candles for each night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There certainly is a lot of detail on the candles on the gift cards! I like the use of a variety of colors there, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these gift tags -- so cute and clever!! I am so glad that you are in this blog hop!! Happy Hanukkah!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your tags, Lois! It was a labor of love that turned out beautifully. I love how colorful the tags become as the nights progress. Thank you so much for participating in the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are both wonderful projects and I really like the use of the swirly birds die. Thanks for sharing you wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, now I want a set of those lovely tags. Maybe it will make sure I really get 8. Such a great idea! Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! It worked! I was up till 3 trying to orchestrate this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lois, I'm so excited to see you contributing to this blog hop. Your sequence of gift cards with the number of candles for each night is really awesome. Congrats on blog-hopping with these wonderful ladies. BTW, Yapha lives in Simi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CAKath! It was tough winging the set up. Yapha & I are pals! We have met for lunch and she partnered with me at the boutique this month. She has been a resource and inspiration for a long time for me.

      Delete
  9. I love the 8 night gift cards - so clever and what a wonderful visual! I used to number the gifts when my girls were small - I will remember this clever idea!

    ReplyDelete