Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween Lanterns


 

  Here is a cute Halloween Project you can create for trick or treat decor:


For this lantern you will need a mason jar (with or without a lid), a battery powered tea-light or votive. (DO NOT USE A REAL FLAME!!!), a ¾” watercolor wash brush and stamping supplies per your chosen design.  Mine are listed after the instructions.

First I measured a piece of Vellum to fit the jar.  I used a 12 oz Ball Jar that was just about 4” in height before the neck.  I secured the vellum to a surface on which I could paint.  The vellum will curl when it gets wet so you either want to use removable painters’ masking tape or clips to secure it and then be able to remove when you are done with the project.

With a dampened paint brush, I painted Basic Gray for the sky part of my paper and Tangerine Tango for the “earth” portion. (I added little water to dilute the color a bit)  Let it dry.            
Next I used Tuxedo Black Memento Ink to stamp the images of the house, ghost, trees, bats, etc. from the Holiday Home stamp set to create a spooky street scene.  I put my best images toward the center because later I would trim the ends to make it fit into the jar without overlapping.
   
With Blendabilities  markers, I colored the houses using the dark gray and yellow for the windows.
 
I rolled the finished scene in and inserted it into the jar, noting where it overlapped on either edge and trimmed off the ends. 
I dropped a flickering battery powered tea light into the jar and Voila!  (DON’T USE A REAL FLAME! YOUR DESIGN WILL BURN!!)

I plan to make others lanterns with spiders & webs and jack-o-lanterns to adorn my front porch and windows on Halloween.  Trick or Treat! 

My Stampin' Up! Supplies:  

No comments:

Post a Comment